Thread: Optimize routes - iOS SDK, Swift

Neuer skobbler

Optimize routes - iOS SDK, Swift

I am using SKMaps to get routes with several viaPoints.

SKMaps returns routes that are much slower than Google Maps. I've tried all of the various combinations of SKRouteModes (.CarFastest, etc.), but none of them come close to Google Maps routes.

I'm thinking my viaPoints need to be optimized. Is there a way to optimize a route with viaPoints in SKMaps?

Dev platform evangelist dandronic's Avatar
    When you say "slower", what do you mean? Routes that don't take into account the fastest streets or the correct street or that the route is correct but the ETA is not correct?

Can you provide some concrete examples? This would helps us investigate and fine tune our algorithms (if needed).

Neuer skobbler
    TL;DR: The routes are not optimal.

The SDK provides the correct street names and the correct ETA, but the routes are not optimal.

For example, let's say I start a route that contains an origin and a destination, and also includes four viaPoints. Let's say one of those viaPoints is 2 minutes from the origin, one is 3 minutes from the origin, one is 30 minutes from the origin and the last is 40 minutes from the origin.

The SDK will return a route that goes from the origin to the viaPoint that's 30 minutes away, then goes to the viaPoint that was initially 2 minutes from the origin, then to the viaPoint that was initially 40 minutes away from the origin, then to the viaPoint that was initially 3 minutes from the origin -- before finally going to the destination.

The route logically should have gone in the viaPoint order of 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 30 minutes and 40 minutes, all else being equal. Instead, there is a lot of unnecessary travel time, i.e. the route is not optimal.

It seems to me that the routing service may be returning a route with the viaPoints in the order that they were initially provided without taking optimization into account.

Dev platform evangelist dandronic's Avatar
    What you are describing is waypoint optimization - which is something we do not offer - the routing engine will take into account the via points in the exact order you have provided them (as you've correctly observed).

Once the via points are provided in your desired order (optimized or not) then our routing engine should generate an optimal route.

Neuer skobbler
    Okay, thanks for confirming that.

It would be great if the platform could provide that function at some point in the future. We'll try to find a way to optimize the order of waypoints in the meantime.

Overall, SKMaps is an incredible platform. Thank you all for your good work.