Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retrying Map Updates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Etablierter skobbler

Retrying Map Updates

We have a tester that experienced an issue where the map detail would never fully load. My best guess is that the map data was never fully downloaded, and the project doesn't currently handle this gracefully.

What I'd like to do is when we display our map, we check to see if the map has been downloaded. If the download ends in a failure, prompt the user to Try Again.

Is this possible with the current SDK? I see where SKMapsVersioningManager is used, and our delegate handles the response, but I don't see a way to check the current status and/or start a new download.

Oberskobbler
    Check in the API doc for SKTDownloadManagerDelegate Protocol Reference and you'll find there the information that you're looking for.

Etablierter skobbler
    I guess I was misunderstanding the purpose of the SKTMapDownloadManager. I now understand that this is used to download maps for offline use.

The issue in question here is when we aren't using offline maps. The user opens up the map view and no detail ever loads. I suspect they may have had an internet connectivity issue here because this isn't repeatable, but the map never recovered until they force-quit the app and relaunched. I'm trying to find a way that I could detect this case and force the map to be reloaded again. If this doesn't make sense, let me know.

Dev platform evangelist dandronic's Avatar
    If the details are not fully loaded it could be that the SDK fails to download the required meta data - you can check for this by listening to the onMetaDataDownloadFinished callback.

If this is the case then you can prebundle the metadata files within your app - see the dedicated documentation chapter about this.

Etablierter skobbler
    Thanks for this, this is helpful. In the case that I check this property and it returns
    Code:
    DownloadError
    , how do I try this request again?

Oberskobbler
    The meta files must be pre-bundled as well -have you done this? The meta files are used for rendering shapes, roads, POIs on the map (e.g PreinstalledMaps\v1\20160426\meta\attributes). The meta files are specific to the map version. Meta files are located under assets folder : SKMaps.zip/PreinstallesMaps/v1.

Etablierter skobbler
    They are not. This is what I see in that folder:

I see that we _can_ include the meta files in the bundle, but if we want to keep the app size smaller, then these files get downloaded on demand. My question is how can I tell the map to re-download this data in the event that the download fails?

(Also, the latest 3.0 version with Traffic we downloaded has this file: meta_20150413_full.zip. Is this the latest version?)

By default the meta files are not included in the SKMaps bundle (or archive) by default - you have to insert them yourself.

For example below is how the SkMaps.bundle should look like after editing:

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 10.24.06.jpg
    The meta files were downloaded from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bjilzmlzh...Ti1Z2fpRa?dl=0

The meta_20150413_full.zip is not correct - it should be meta_20160426_full.zip - we will update this with the next SDK update - please use the meta files from the above link for the time being

Etablierter skobbler
    I embedded this in the app. I didn't see any warnings or errors, and behavior in the app seems the same as before. How can I be sure this was implemented correctly? Also, is the content of the above version3_public_sdk_iOS_3_0.txt file correct in the latest release?

Please send us (send to dev@telenav.com) your modified SKMaps.bundle or SKMaps.zip and we will check it out.