Thread: What use is offline navigation WITHOUT offline address search?

Etablierter skobbler

Daumen runter What use is offline navigation WITHOUT offline address search?

I am using your app in South America, 4-5 month ago address searches functioned very well (better than Navigator's), now not at all!

Only when I have a data connection can I search for any address outside the center on Santiago.
    I bought this as an app (or its maps - whichever way you look at it) for offline navigation - offline search is a big and important part of this!

I don't have a data SIM in my tablet, don't want one, don't need one (except for your search), wouldn't be of much use in many regions I visit.
    So what's this about?
    A new deal with data mining companies, like Foursquare? So that they get straight away hold of the addresses of every place I'm looking for?

Right now I'm
    Last edited by Alexandra; 27.11.2014 at 18:34. Reason: Netiquette-Verstöße entfernt

Super-Moderator
    Juergen, first of all, this is not a good style to communicate in this way.

The problem is a basically one. Scout uses OpenStreetMaps. Scout will display every adress if it's stored in OSM.
    We have to clarify that even not all adresses are stored in OSM. Some countrys better, some not.

For this problem, Scout uses in "online" mode some (and only some!) Bytes for searching online for an adress if not found in the OSM database.
    So this is a "fallback".

The fact that this is only working with an active internet connection brings us to the question why this is not implemented into offline version.
    The answer is simple: For the online search it must be a very big adress provider like google or bing. And you can be sure that there exists a contract between Scout und this large adress provider that his adress database may only (!) used with an active internet connection.

That is the problem. You can say, that Scout does it better compared to other OSM-navis because some other apps do not offer the possibilty to search online as a fallback.

In fact, your problem is not that big as you think
    As posted above, the online adress search uses only bytes (!). So if using e.g. a german SIM, you have to pay ~20Cent/Megabyte. So if you do 100 adress searches online, your tablet consumes data traffic of around 100-200KB. So this costs ~20 Cents.

I know that is not the perfect solution, but I have to say, for this little money a perfect adress search (because online every! adress is found) is truly OK.

Recently I had to possibilty to talk with Steve Coast about this. He told me that many governments, large companies and so on have very large adress databases.
    OSM is planning to get this databases and import them into OSM into the future. But no idea what's the progress here.

As an workaround, you can search via a WiFi the adresses you want and save them as favorites.
    Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 | beta tester of "GPS Navigation & Maps" for Android | community moderator
    Erfahrungsbericht Scout auf Android-Doppel-DIN-Autoradio Daten- und Energieverbrauch von Scout
    BUGS: Bitte immer Gerätenamen, Betriebssystemversion, App-Version und kurze Beschreibung nennen!
    Clean reinstallation of Scout | Having GPS problemes with CyanogenMod? | OFFICIAL SUPPORT:: support-europe@telenav.com

Etablierter skobbler
    Quote Originally Posted by makiHD View Post
    Juergen, first of all, this is not a good style to communicate in this way.
    So, what's a good way to communicate my frustration? Email to support? My last email was answered after 43 days - that's a quick turn around! (or not).

The problem is a basically one. Scout uses OpenStreetMaps. Scout will display every adress if it's stored in OSM.
    We have to clarify that even not all adresses are stored in OSM. Some countrys better, some not.

For this problem, Scout uses in "online" mode some (and only some!) Bytes for searching online for an adress if not found in the OSM database.
    So this is a "fallback".
    Or how can you explain that ... (a completely free app) will find every street I'm looking for? They're also using OSM data base!
    And your ... programm (I had to pay for the privilege of owning a substandard search!) used to find the same streets before the second last update, now it's hopeless!

The fact that this is only working with an active internet connection brings us to the question why this is not implemented into offline version.
    The answer is simple: For the online search it must be a very big adress provider like google or bing. And you can be sure that there exists a contract between Scout und this large adress provider that his adress database may only (!) used with an active internet connection.

That is the problem. You can say, that Scout does it better compared to other OSM-navis because some other apps do not offer the possibilty to search online as a fallback.

In fact, your problem is not that big as you think
    As posted above, the online adress search uses only bytes (!). So if using e.g. a german SIM, you have to pay ~20Cent/Megabyte. So if you do 100 adress searches online, your tablet consumes data traffic of around 100-200KB. So this costs ~20 Cents.

I know that is not the perfect solution, but I have to say, for this little money a perfect adress search (because online every! adress is found) is truly OK.
    Skobbler does worse than other apps! Much worse (at least here in Chile)! As mentioned before:
    ... finds the addresses, your own Skobbler used to find them until it was renamed into Scout!

I do NOT have a data SIM in my tablet!And it was never planned to have one in it! So there IS NO ONLINE SEARCH! We are full-time travellers, crossing borders on a regular basis, driving in the Andean mountains where no mobile transmitter towers spoil the landscape - so a data SIM wouldn't be of any use anyhow!
    Your logic comes from ... person who has all the creature comforts ...: ..., a home with fixed line superfast internet, lives in a country with relatively dense settlements (hence good UMTS coverage), and cheap German mobile data charges - none of this applies to us (or the thousands of other overlanders like us!). We live full-time in an overland camper of some 9 sqm! No fixed phone line or other connection to the grid.

In Chile I'm using mobile data with an USB-stick, the only way I can get any internet! It ain't as cheap as you are used to: 17,990CLP=24.09 EUR for 14 days, that's ~€50 Euros per month with a tight data limit, plus it doesn't give me WiFi (I can't move the SIM into my Huawei MiFi-Modem because the connection relies on some software embedded in the stick! So far I have failed to set up a hotspot on my laptop = I have seldomly access to ANY WiFi!). Outside cities I often only get EDGE speed with this stick, barely enough to download emails... You don't expect me to pay another €50/month just to access a basic function like proper "SEARCH" in your ... app?

Recently I had to possibilty to talk with Steve Coast about this. He told me that many governments, large companies and so on have very large adress databases.
    OSM is planning to get this databases and import them into OSM into the future. But no idea what's the progress here.

As an workaround, you can search via a WiFi the adresses you want and save them as favorites.
    Read my article and maybe you will understand more of our specific situation! As mentioned before: we're by far not the only overlanders in this situation!
    I researched long and hard before setting off, thought a tablet with Skobbler would be a good solution for our needs and limitations (eg NO data access), but never in my life did I expect that the quality of an app would DECREASE so drastically within 6 months!

My suspecion is: you made some deal with data mining companies (Foursquare & Trip Advisor, who pop up in Online Search) to force people to go more online and provide straight away search data to these companies. If that's the case:...! You turned a previously good app into ...!

[Link entfernt] (There is a concrete example descibed with screen captures, which you can retrace on your equipment in Germany! Load the Chile map, search offline for Avenida Luis Pasteur 5515 in Santiago - - - and see no result! Yesterday I was looking for Guardia Vieja 255 in Santiago - same! ... finds both using the OSM database!Now, you explain me why!).

Quote Originally Posted by from our article
    ...without a proper offline search Skobbler is about as useful as an inflatable dartboard!
    Last edited by Alexandra; 27.11.2014 at 18:52. Reason: Netiquette-Verstöße, Link und Werbung entfernt

Super-Moderator
    For your information:

I'm not working for Skobbler/Scout and I'm not a developer of this app - I'm just a user trying to help some others with the app.

Thanks for all your insults - no one is caused by me. Leaving this thread. If you have a problem with this app, just use another app.
    Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 | beta tester of "GPS Navigation & Maps" for Android | community moderator
    Erfahrungsbericht Scout auf Android-Doppel-DIN-Autoradio Daten- und Energieverbrauch von Scout
    BUGS: Bitte immer Gerätenamen, Betriebssystemversion, App-Version und kurze Beschreibung nennen!
    Clean reinstallation of Scout | Having GPS problemes with CyanogenMod? | OFFICIAL SUPPORT:: support-europe@telenav.com

Oberskobbler
    Hi Juergen,

Our support team is currently taking a look into your problem with the offline search. We'll get back to you as soon as possible. Meanwhile, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch with my colleague Ana again.

Kind regards,
    Alexandra

Etablierter skobbler
    Alright? So censorship has arrived at this ███████ support forum of Skobbler - cheers!

Special thank you for completely considereing my feelings when I feel let down by the empty promises of your ██████ naviagation app! How would you feel, stuck in traffic and running already late for an important appointment, only to discover (once again) that the app you were relying on failed in a basic feature like address search? You switch to you back-up app ████████ ███████, but have no time to set it up correctly, because (see above) you're unfortunately already running late. You just called the person you have the appointment with and they told you they are waiting for you...

No, of course, you would not in ANY WAY feel frustrated and aggrevated! You would probably feel all hunky dory, whistle along "Be happy"...
    I doubt it! But if this frustration is vented on the Skobbler forum, the forum for the software which caused it in the first place, then you are accused of commiting "Netiquette-Verstöße"!
    :P

And don't you dare to tell people here on Skobbler's own forum, that the freely available navigation app called ████████ ███████ does much better than the piece of ████ they are charging money for!
    We don't want to be compared with free apps, particularly if they are better than ours!! We call that "unerlaubte Werbung".

Why does this remind me of the ostrich sticking his head into the sand?

Great company policy!
    Last edited by dare2go; 28.11.2014 at 02:27.

Etablierter skobbler

Daumen runter

It looks very much like I'm not the only person very unhappy with recent changes - see the following quotes from recent Playstore one-star-reviews:

I just edited my 4 stars rating to 1 until they fix the last HORRIBLE update!! Very bad and crappy interface! Everything was perfect (exept for frequent address bugs, taking me to wrong addresses) but after last update the Recent feature as well as food, gas etc categories were removed!!!! That was the difference between a good GPS app vs a regular. Don't mix the social media with a GPS app! Very bad decision, no intelligent thinking was involved in this update, very very crappy . Delete this entire update and resend the other one!

New version sucks! I'm a nearly every day user, what happened to my "Recents" button? and my send eta option? Who the hell needs to chat I need to be able to keep from being cheated out of time by my employer. Send my eta did just that! "Recents" places that I tend to visit on occasion was great, where did it go? I used this app almost every day for three years now I'm in-installing it!

I'll take the old version please! The old scout version provided the user with several search options based on what you were looking for in the community. Banks, restaurants, shopping, gas, coffee, etc. This version of Scout took all those services away and I don't understand why. Bring back the old Scout. Those who rated this new version of Scout a 5 truly has no idea of the great services Scout used to provide.

Samsung Galaxy S5 After new update this is now the worst gps ever heard of you type in an address and it takes you to a different street than what you typed in and it used to get up to the front door of every house i delivered to somethings you just shouldnt change because look what happens til its fixed im using waze.

Bring back the old ap...where are my recents etc...i dont want to share my driving or chat about my trip...what am i 2...i use for business and navigating. Not playing..this was apparently made by teens for teens who don't need encouragement to chat and meet up when they do enough of that already.

It sucks, it does not work Ever since they upgraded, it barely works, its slow, it doesnt update while you drive. Give me back the old one.

Probably Skobbler is getting too many annoyed messages like mine, so they get the clubs out to beat us into silence...