Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map data & Routing Issues - SINGLE BIGGEST ISSUE with SKMaps imo

Erfahrener skobbler

Ausrufezeichen Map data & Routing Issues - SINGLE BIGGEST ISSUE with SKMaps imo

Hi Guys,

I've now been running my motorcycle navigation app for almost 2 years with Skobbler and wanted to share with you the map/routing errors I've been getting feedback about over time. I've been reporting these separately over time, but none of them seem to have been resolved, even though we had at least 4 or 5 map version updates.

For me (and I imagine for anyone else counting on SKMaps for navigation), this is the single biggest issue with the framework. I know you are working on migrating the framework, but you are still putting out map updates, so I'm guessing map updates are separate from the framework migration. Please also note that these issues are not OSM related. My users and I compared with other apps and websites that use OSM data and they do not have these issues. (e.g. kurviger.de). (It's also not 'time of your extract' related as errors do not seem to be resolved with new map version updates. This leads me to believe that the issue is very likely in the processing you do on the OSM extract you take periodically, but you probably know that better than me.

1. Refusing to route along stretch of road
    Over time I have had many users with this problem. Best explained by an example. See this screenshot:
    IMG_0010.jpg
    Between via point 4 and 5 is a strange loop. This is because your routing engine 'thinks' it's not allowed to route over a little stretch of this road. I've done extensive analyses on many of these cases. In some scenarios it thinks you are not allowed to go there at all, and on other scenarios it thinks you can only go there in one direction. OSM and Kurviger.de do not reflect this behaviour. It's also not related to the via points being placed on the 'wrong' side of the road. I checked this and tried moving the via points. These stretches are usually very short, tiny, sometimes only 1 meter. If I move the via points 4 and 5 so that they almost touch, it still puts the same loop.

2. Ferries (and sometimes tunnels)
    The routing refuses to take ferries somehow, no matter what routing option is selected. The only way to force it to take a ferry is to drop a via point IN the water along the ferry line. This is fine if you know there's a ferry, but if you are in a strange country you'll be making a HUGE detour or it won't route at all.

3. Seasonally closed roads
    The first point (strange loops) occurs especially often around seasonally closed roads, even when the road is open at the moment of calculation.

4. Speed Limits
    The speed limit data provided by the framework is incomplete. Framework doesn't report speed limit for many roads, while OSM does know the speed limit of these roads.

These issues are more common in some areas then others. Over time I have found that Italy, Canada and also the general Alps region are 'problem' areas. There are more areas though.

I really hope you'll give this a serious look because, as I mentioned, this is the single biggest issue with the framework at the moment and to be honest... I've lost paying users over this.

Could you let us know if you were aware of these problems and if you are working on them / what the progress is?

Thanks and best regards,
    Guido
    Last edited by guidove; 03.04.2018 at 21:29.

Erfahrener skobbler
    Hi Guido,

We are not aware, but we can start looking into them. For this, we would require more info (at least on the first 3 points which seems doable at first sight), on the 4th point things could be more complicated in terms of dev resources and time allocation.
    1. What map version you are using? This was reproducing on previous map versions as well? Did you check if this is reproducing with our demo app also? Please send us the coordinates from via point 4 & 5.
    2-3.This is reproducing in only one case, or multiple? Please provide us with the start/end coordinates for these route(s).
    4. For which roads? Any other details here would be helpful. Also, please check if this is reproducing in our demo app.

Best regards,
    Adrian

Erfahrener skobbler
    Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bortas View Post
    Hi Guido,

We are not aware, but we can start looking into them. For this, we would require more info (at least on the first 3 points which seems doable at first sight), on the 4th point things could be more complicated in terms of dev resources and time allocation.
    1. What map version you are using? This was reproducing on previous map versions as well? Did you check if this is reproducing with our demo app also? Please send us the coordinates from via point 4 & 5.
    The screenshot is with map version 20170828
    I just tried with the newest map version (I updated my app to use this version 2 days ago) and this specific issue with this road has been resolved. I also tried a few other cases which users communicated to me over time, which also seem to have been resolved with the latest map update! Very nice! 
So, it appears perhaps I was too soon with this point. I don't know if you retroactively made changes to the map versions or the routing engine? In any case, apologies if I have reported something that was already resolved. I will let you know if I get any other feedback on this with the newest map version.

2-3.This is reproducing in only one case, or multiple? Please provide us with the start/end coordinates for these route(s).
    Multiple. Ferries used to be a very big problem. Even the big ferries between, for example, Hook of Holland and Harwich, it would refuse to take and even the channel tunnel it would refuse. Now, with the newer map versions, it seems to have become limited to smaller ferries. Here's an example (with newest 20180129 map version):
    Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 7 - 2018-04-05 at 12.06.44.jpg Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 7 - 2018-04-05 at 12.06.55.jpg

As you can see it only takes the ferry when dropping a via point in the water. If not putting that via point it takes a detour of almost an hour. Also tried in the latest (3.1) demo app. Same result:
    Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 - 2018-04-05 at 12.10.15.jpg

Here are the coordinates for this ferry crossing:
    startLat: 36.6899654867782
    startLon: -85.5649037709458
    via0Lat: 36.6889540429348
    via0Lon: -85.5669711840497
    destinationLat: 36.6901001092666
    destinationLon: -85.5707245307624

And here's a screenshot of OpenStreetMap.org where I entered this start and destination coordinate:
    Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 12.28.57.jpg

As for the seasonally closed roads... also this seems to have improved. There used to be an issue here at the start of the famous Stelvio pass, but that's been resolved. Will let you know if I get a new issue with this.

4. For which roads? Any other details here would be helpful. Also, please check if this is reproducing in our demo app.
    I will ask my users which roads once I get a new report about this... and let you know. There are more threads about this in the forum.

Erfahrener skobbler
    Thank you for the detailed info. I confirm the ferry issue. The bug was reported to our dev team for investigation.
    Last edited by adrian.bortas; 10.04.2018 at 16:02.

Erfahrener skobbler
    This is especially an issue in countries like Norway, Netherlands, etc. where you have many rivers, canals, lakes, etc where ferries are usually the only way (or at least the fastest way) to get around.

Erfahrener skobbler
    OK. If you receive any other similar complaints, please pass me the start/end coordinates.

Erfahrener skobbler
    Here another two examples where OSM takes the ferry and SKMaps does not. For coordinates see screenshots:
    Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 16.13.45.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 16.12.12.jpg

The first one only takes ferry with the Graphopper routing.
    The second one takes ferry with Graphopper and OSRM routing

Erfahrener skobbler
    Thanks for reporting this. Both cases were reported to our dev team for fixing.

Erfahrener skobbler
    Here are some cases where OSM knows the speed limit, but the framework is not reporting a limit, or, in case of the first screenshot, reporting 60mph, while OSM says 40mph.
    All roads are near Bedminster, just below Bristol in the UK.

Screenshot-01.jpg
    Screenshot-02.jpg
    Screenshot-03.jpg
    Screenshot-04.jpg

Erfahrener skobbler
    Are you saying these need to be fixed on a case by case basis? I would expect this can be fixed on a global scale, through adjusting the processing logic you apply to the OSM extracts you take?