Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skobbler Android 3.0.1 requestScreenshot returns a transparent empty bitmap

Etablierter skobbler

Skobbler Android 3.0.1 requestScreenshot returns a transparent empty bitmap

Cross posting this from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...t-empty-bitmap for visibility.

Hi there,

Previous versions of the Skobbler SDK allowed for the developer to request a screenshot of the current mapView state by calling something like

Code:
        mapView.requestScreenshot();
    Followed by overriding a callback to listen for the bitmap result similar to:

Code:
        @Override
        public void onScreenshotReady(Bitmap bitmap) {
          // do something with passed bitmap
        }
    This code worked as expected in SDK version 2.5.1 but somewhere along the line the SDK appears to have changed such that this code no longer works. Instead now, when we receive the bitmap object, we see that the dimensions of the bitmap match those of the mapview, but the content is all just transparent pixels.

It's almost as if the bitmap was properly initialized with a transparent background with the correct width and height but when the surfaceview request to render to the bitmap was made internally, that portion failed.

Some additional details, the call to `mapView.requestScreenshot()` is made on the main UI thread, as is the handling of the callback `onScreenshotReady()`.

Looking at the logs, the only output I see in between making the `requestScreenshot()` call and the calling of the callback is this possibly related error:
    Code:
        D/SKMapActivity: requesting screenshot
        E/libEGL: call to OpenGL ES API with no current context (logged once per thread)
        D/SKMapActivity: screenshot ready
    Since I'm not sure of the internals of how the SKMapSurfaceView class requests the render, I'm not sure if there is an additional step I need to take to ensure that a current OpenGL ES context is in place when the screenshot request is made.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Thanks!

Keith

Etablierter skobbler
    This is a known issue for us which is currently fixed. The fix will be part of our new SDK release (3.1) which we are planning for next week. I'll get back to you with the new build once they are validated by our QA team.

-Adrian

Etablierter skobbler
    Thank you Adrian! We currently use the custom traffic enabled Skobbler SDK build; will that version of 3.1 be available at the same time? Thanks again for your quick reply and for the dev team's effort on this update!

Best,
    Keith

Etablierter skobbler
    Yes, the traffic build will also be available on 3.1

Etablierter skobbler
    Hi Adrian,

Thanks again for your help in the matter! I wanted to follow up to see if you had an update on the 3.1 release. Is it available now?

Best,
    Keith

Etablierter skobbler
    Hi Keith,

Not yet I'm afraid. If you'll pass me your email address I could send you the build as soon as it's out.

Adrian

Etablierter skobbler
    Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the update and the offer to send via email! I've sent you a private message with the email address you can send it to, let me know if I messed up and you did not receive it. Appreciate all the help you've provided thus far, thank you!

Best,
    Keith

Etablierter skobbler
    I've received your message. I'll keep you posted on the email.

Adrian

Etablierter skobbler
    Hi Adrian,

I just wanted to check in again to see how things are going with the new build. Do you have an updated estimate for when it might be ready?

Thanks!
    Keith

Etablierter skobbler
    Not yet. I'll let you know via email when the new version is out.