Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [iOS 3.0.3] While navigating, memory keeps growing until iOS kills my app.

Etablierter skobbler
    It's the memory issue – app is not crashing, but killed by the OS.

Erfahrener skobbler
    Hi Adrian,

Cobi is confirming the feeling I've had for a long time and is also in line with user feedback I've gotten. If the SDK is in offline mode crashes are far less frequent and sometimes even gone. The memory grows a lot when the SDK connects to the server for map data. My guess is the 'big' leaks are caused by the networking code. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Guido

Etablierter skobbler
    I can confirm that this is a clear pattern in bug reports by our users – bad / spotty connectivity in areas with uncached map tiles (download is triggered) OR rerouting (routing request is triggered).

Erfahrener skobbler
    Any progress on this? As far as I'm concerned this is the number 1 issue the SDK has at the moment. Navigation is one of the key features of the SDK and if it crashes during navigation.. well.
    As I've shown you in the email exchange we had, the demo app also shows this behaviour. 9 crashes in 4 hours of navigating.

I've now adjusted my own app to use offline maps only while navigating (I put the SDK in offline mode during navigation). Crashes are gone!
    This is costing me money because I now have to give the offline maps away for free, as they are mandatory for the app to work now. So, forgive me for pushing so hard to get this fixed, but it's really important to me, and I'm guessing all SDK users that use Online Navigation.

Etablierter skobbler
    Some of our users have started disabling "Mobile Data" for the app so that it doesn't crash anymore. Very embarrassing.

Etablierter skobbler
    Someone in our team noticed this crash for the first-time ever – lo-and-behold – on the day he received a text message from his carrier that mobile data will be throttled. It's crystal-clear that there is a problem in the iOS wrappers' networking code.

Erfahrener skobbler
    I'm thinking about switching to the HERE SDK. Many SDK bugs that I need to work around. Would like to stick to Skobbler though, if improvements are made. Not sure what the migration of the SDK is going to bring us. @Adrian: anything you can tell us about that?

Erfahrener skobbler
    Obviously, the new SDK will bring a stack of improvements. The only thing is that it will be available in a year or so, as it's still under development phase. For this particular issue we don't have a solution at this point, as our dev could not reproduce it, in simulation scenarios as well as under several drive tests we've made.

Erfahrener skobbler
    OK. I know it's difficult to reproduce, but I think I've proven that it's an issue with the SDK, as also your own demo app crashed multiple times during a 4 hour ride. If I would be the only one with this issue I would also doubt it was the SDK, but I'm not. If you need more info, please let me know. Will you still be bringing out updates/hotfixes to the current version of the SDK, since the migrated SDK is a year out?

Erfahrener skobbler
    Yes, of course, we will continue to support our current users with updates&hotfixes to the current SDK for all this period.