PDA

View Full Version : Can't get prompt GPS lock with Galaxy Note 2

cattledogit
08.01.2015, 07:39
It typically takes minutes to get a GPS lock on my Note 2 with your app if I get one at all. I have the same problem with Google Maps. However, "GPS Status & Toolbox" invariably gets a lock in <5 secs., but even then your app still doesn't get a lock. Both Sygic and CoPilot get immediate locks like GPS S&T.

Once your app is locked it stays locked through at least short trips, but waiting minutes to get a lock is impractical.

Can you suggest a solution? Would TopNTP likely help?

I have a Sprint Note 2 with current stock android.

Thanks in advance!

makiHD
08.01.2015, 11:55
Did you enable "high accuracy (GPS/WLAN/3G)" under location settings?

cattledogit
08.01.2015, 18:48

Yes. BTW, the phone is rooted.

cattledogit
08.01.2015, 19:44

If I enable "GPS Only" mode, GPS N&S gives "no location found."

TopNTP didn't help. Like "GPS Status & Toolbox", "GPS Status Test & Fix" also quickly finds a GPS lock ("Satellites: 17/19"). Clearly GPS is working, but GPS N&S (and Google maps) isn't using it correctly.

cattledogit
08.01.2015, 21:15
I found that after selecting "Get Xtra data" in "GPS Status Test & Fix" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cochibo.gpsstatus), GPS N&M consistently gets an immediate lock. Stopping GPS ST&F reverts GPS N&S to "no location found." Occasionally "Get Xtra data" isn't needed, but usually it is.

Can you explain this?

GPS ST&F doesn't seem to help Google Maps get a lock.

makiHD
09.01.2015, 12:41
Do you have any firewall installed?

cattledogit
09.01.2015, 18:05
Do you have any firewall installed?

Yes, Avast is installed, but the Firewall mode is blacklist. GPS N&M isn't blacklisted, and it has the same permissions as GPS ST&F.

Google maps has always had the GPS locking problems, before Avast was installed.

makiHD
12.01.2015, 12:34
I'm nearly sure that your rooted kernel has some problems with GPS. I suggest to try another Kernel or search for an updates kernel. While I had previous a Samsung phone, I always used the root kernels from Chainfire ("CF-Root").

cattledogit
12.01.2015, 18:46
I'm nearly sure that your rooted kernel has some problems with GPS. I suggest to try another Kernel or search for an updates kernel. While I had previous a Samsung phone, I always used the root kernels from Chainfire ("CF-Root").

It'd be easier for me to simply use Sygic, though I've found that their directions aren't as accurate as yours in my immediate area. If Sygic, CoPilot, etc. can work well with my GPS it must be possible for GPS N&M to do the same.