PDA

View Full Version : Navigation with iPhone

pauldevall
07.01.2011, 15:53
We have Skobbler on two iPhones and use it extensively in the UK where my wife and I have unlimited internet access and the iPhone can use A-GPS to navigate, but if we venture across the Channel to France can the system still work using the iPhone GPS alone to save roaming costs?

Christin
11.01.2011, 14:43
No, skobbler only works with a proper internet connection because the maps are loaded constantly during usage. Therefore, I would not recommend it being used abroad due to possibe high roaming costs.

Best regards,
Christin

pauldevall
24.01.2011, 13:46
With 8 gig upwards on an iPhone memory, isn't it possible have Skobbler download all the maps for a journey at once at the start of the trip where you might get lucky with wifi??

I have all the maps from the Channel Tunnel to Brno via Colditz/Leipzig in my old Garmin Quest an they take up about 200mb?

Christin
26.01.2011, 11:58
No, this is not possible because skobbler will always connect to the internet when in use. There is no on/off button for that so you cannot switch to offline mode and/or use wifi only. Also, if you take a wrong turn (which happens sometimes in foreign countries) skobbler needs a proper internet connection to calculate a new route.

Maybe you should consider our offline app ForeverMap which is currently available for 0.59 GBP in the iTunes UK store. It is not a navigation program but digital maps for Europe. You can download them individually via WLAN before your trip and have everything on your mobile. ForeverMap can calculate routes but - as I already mentioned - won't navigate you by speech output, etc. For further details, please visit the iTunes store and check out our description.

Best regards,
Christin

adson3492
05.01.2015, 13:44
I'm using the android Version but I think map updates are done the same way. With the beginning of 2014 there should be map updates much more often. I'm using the current Android beta version and we get a map update every approx. 10 days.