PDA

View Full Version : Impressions and Suggestions

Rodrigo
07.01.2011, 01:56
Hallo!
Wie gehts?

First of all, congratulations for the amazing app built under a really good idea which is to make good use of the OpenStreetMap free and growing database.
I'll make my third trip to Europe this year, the first with an iPhone, and after looking for some cheap map apps (and buying some) I've already made my choice: ForeverMap will be my app.
There are some major features which made the big advantage of this app for me:
- possibility to offline calculate routes on foot or by car (the best feature ever!);
- download map of a full country at once;
- pause, resume and cancel downloads;
- read wikipedia short descriptions offline without having to save the entries one by one online before;

Also, I would like to give my contribution describing what would be the key improvements that would make this app unbeatable by its "competitors" for a long time without changing its concept of a cheap, simple and perfect app. These would be my suggestions, in my opinion nothing so hard to implement:

1) to improve the viewing of the main points of interest on the map. Some things like train stations are very important to be under highlight even with far zoom, since the app is mainly used on foot (while you usually need to use a lot the public transportation). Would be nice also to have the names of the stations and main squares, buildings, touristic attractions, etc... directly writen on the map when the zoom level allows. There's a very popular app which is the benchmark for me on that (don't know if I can write the name here :P)

2) to improve the searching feature. For example: allow to find the closest train station, allow to search by categories.

3) screensaver or completely black screen while downloading the maps. Takes a really long time to download maps over a bad connection (often overnight) and maybe it's not good for the device to be with the screen activated all this time. A simple touch could disable the screensaver or blackscreen.

4) Possibility to backup downloaded maps to a computer or maybe download the maps on the computer and than transfer to the iPhone. It would be good in case of someone needing to perform a full iPhone restore. In this case it would not be needed to download all the maps again.

5) to refine the points of interest database. Sometimes it's confusing, showing lots of "instances" of the same POI in a big area. Maybe you could provide paid (but cheap :P) databases for POIs. And maybe this is the less simple suggestion to implement. The same app mentioned on suggestion #1 is also very good on this.

Hope everything makes sense. And sorry for the long text :P
Thanks for the attention and wish you great success with this nice project.

Danke schön.
Viel Spaß!

Christin
14.01.2011, 11:20
Hi,

And thanks for your detailed feedback!

As our ForeverMap is a full offline software, some of your suggested features are already available. Also, you do have the possibility to choose single countries and download them in full.

Your suggestions (1-5) will be forwarded to our Development Team so that they can check them and put them on their list of improvements if applicable. And yes, you are welcome to give us the name of other products here as well. We are always keen on knowing what our customers are intereseted in, too, and with which other apps our apps are being compared.

Thanks and best regards,
Christin

Rodrigo
14.01.2011, 23:44
Hi,

And thanks for your detailed feedback!

As our ForeverMap is a full offline software, some of your suggested features are already available. Also, you do have the possibility to choose single countries and download them in full.

Hi. Thanks for the answer.
Yes, I know. These first things of my post I described as very positive features of your app. They are positive feedback, not suggestions. My suggestions are the ones I numbered 1-5. Sorry that I was maybe not clear.

Your suggestions (1-5) will be forwarded to our Development Team so that they can check them and put them on their list of improvements if applicable.

Thanks a lot!

And yes, you are welcome to give us the name of other products here as well. We are always keen on knowing what our customers are intereseted in, too, and with which other apps our apps are being compared.

Thanks and best regards,
Christin

The great app I also found very interesting is OffMaps. It has some advantages when compared to your app (specially the map viewing and the POI guides), but some critical disadvantages also. In my oppinion, the combination of advantages from both apps would be a 5 star one.

Thanks a lot. Have a nice weekend and success in this project.

tiptronic
26.01.2011, 12:05
Here's one more addition to Rodrigo's ideas:

- Please hire an user-interface designer. Currently the app looks like a mashup of (found) UI-elements. Also there are quite some UX flaws. Eliminating these flaws would enhance the UX dramatically, IMO.

Please don't get me wrong: I like the idea and the app works ok, but that's it. User-experience is what separates the wheat from the chaff ;-). Please feel free to contact me via PM, if you want me to elaborate further on this.