PDA

View Full Version : Speed Limit in MPH?

bikeoid
01.10.2010, 02:23
Today, I drove on a road which has had the speed limits entered in OSM, but no speed limit was shown on the Skobbler app. Does it work with speed limits in the US where maxspeed is entered in mph? For example

maxspeed=65 mph

Thanks,

RFairgrieve
28.10.2010, 00:09
I also updated the OSM to add the speed limits in MPH for my route to work. I did this several weeks ago and whilst other map corrections that I have made have been updated, the speed limits are never displayed. I've set my options to display speeds "always" but I have never seen any speed limits.

Do speed limits in MPH work in skobbler? Is there a bug?

Anyone got speeds working in any form in the UK?

skobbler team
29.10.2010, 09:18
Hi bikeoid, RFairgrieve

Thank you for getting in touch.
Please go to the IPhone menu in Settings -> skobbler -> Show limits and make sure that Show limits is Always.

Hope this will help
Skobbler team

RFairgrieve
29.10.2010, 09:23
As I said in my post, mine is already set to "Always". I've tried all the obvious settings!

skobbler team
29.10.2010, 10:18
Sorry, I misunderstood.
Could it be possible that you give details about when you made the corrections in the OSM? The changes which are updated were made before the speed limits corrections?
We will investigate and we will try to fix this issue. Thanks a lot for your interest on our product.

RFairgrieve
29.10.2010, 13:59
It would have been on or around 3rd September 2010 when I added the speed limits to OSM. I checked the other day and they are still present in OSM.

I added speed limits for M1 J21 to J3, and A512 from M1 J23 towards Loughborough town.

I wanted to prove the above worked before adding more.

Thanks.

skobbler team
29.10.2010, 15:31
Thanks for the provided details.
We will investigate this and we will come back with a solution as soon as possible.

bikeoid
02.11.2010, 01:59
In my case, the speed limits had been entered since 2009. Note that speeds in KPH are just a number in OSM
maxspeed=105
whereas in mph, the units are included:
maxspeed=65 mph

kepardue
06.01.2011, 00:09
Has there been any resolution to this issue? Like many of you, I've added speed limit information to several of the roads in my locale, most of them over two months ago. I still do not see speed limit information in skobbler, regardless of whether show speed limits to Always is set or not.

RFairgrieve
06.01.2011, 00:48
Hi kepardue,

I've not received any other feedback other than what is in this thread. I haven't checked skobbler on my iphone for a few weeks but I'll try to check in the next few days and report back.

I might also add a limit on another road without the "mph", i.e. "maxspeed=100" (Kmh) and see if that works as it would then confirm the problem in Skobbler is with the "mph".

Will post back soon. :)

kepardue
06.01.2011, 00:51
That's kind of what I suspect is causing the problem as well. I know we "uncivilized Yanks" just aren't with it with the metric system and all ;-), but that's a pretty big omission that the Skobbler guys made before making the app US-based.

RFairgrieve
11.01.2011, 23:19
Checked my route which I had added speed limits in MPH to several months ago and still no display of any speeds on Skobbler. Am just off to adjust a speed limit to remove the MPH to see if that works, although I'll have to wait a few weeks for the update of OpenStreetMap to be updated to Skobbler. Will re-check and post in a months time, or earlier if someone tells me when Skobbler update their maps from OpenStreetMap.

RFairgrieve
20.01.2011, 22:56
Checked skobbler on my way to work and sure enough, as soon as I reached the section where I'd removed the "MPH" from the speed setting in OpenStreetMap, up popped the speed limit display and a warning (as I was obviously exceeding the speed limit in KM as I was doing MPH).

So this confirms that the problem is that Skobbler does not like speed limits specified in "MPH".

Skobbler please fix this, it must be an easy fix now I done all the analysis for you and identified the exact problem! :-)

Logged as bug sko-126301.

Christin
26.01.2011, 11:42
Thanks a lot for your effort, RFairgrieve. I'll pass your info on to our Development Team so that they can fix it.

Best regards,
Christin

RFairgrieve
10.04.2011, 01:06
Any news on the fix yet Christin (or anyone else at Skobbler).

It's a pretty big issue for those of where MPH is the measure of speed. I'm sure you'd win a lot more users and praise if you get this fixed!

Thanks.

bikeoid
11.04.2011, 14:09
It's a pretty big issue for those of where MPH is the measure of speed. I'm sure you'd win a lot more users and praise if you get this fixed!

I agree. I still see a lot of reports for missing speed where there really is a speed limit in MPH.

Similarly, when I mention that Skobbler has a setting to alert when you exceed the speed limit, people are interested. Unfortunately, all roads around here have maxspeed in mph, so I can't demo it. :-(

RFairgrieve
30.05.2011, 21:29
Still waiting .....

.... would get much better UK reviews and more users when fixed.

Christin
08.06.2011, 15:33
We are currently working on a complete rebrush of skobbler Navigation. Please read more about it in our blog: http://blog.skobbler.com/2011/05/no-further-updates-for-the-current-iphone-skobbler-navigation-app/. Fixes will all be made at the same time so that we can present you an even better working skobbler soon! :)

Best regards,
Christin

RFairgrieve
08.06.2011, 23:47
Thanks for the update Christin but PLEASE make sure the new version speed limits work in MPH.

BTW, Is there an ETA for the new version?

Christin
10.06.2011, 12:21
The only thing I can say so far is: Please check out our latest blog entry regarding new features, etc. of skobbler: http://blog.skobbler.com/2011/05/no-further-updates-for-the-current-iphone-skobbler-navigation-app/.

Greetings,
Christin :)