PDA

View Full Version : Why are regional versions required?

PeterSmithson
17.09.2010, 11:20
Hi,

Just got the UK one on my Android device - not had chance to try it yet but I'm really waiting for downloadable maps which I see you're working on. Will I be able to use it when I go abroad?

If I can use it in, say, Greece - why do people have to wait for a version that works in their region?

Thanks.

Peter.

Marcus
17.09.2010, 17:17
Peter,

There's a multitude of things that we need to take into account, when we decide on which country to release skobbler to. That's why we do extensive (oftentimes simulated/automated) testing before releasing an app to a certain region. As we're currently in a state of development that's more about creating several great products than only focussing on one (and only one) app, we simply don't have the time to test for all countries as much as we would need, if we wanted to aggressively release skobbler navigation internationally.

Another factor is obviously the level of progression of the OpenStreetMap, on which skobbler is based. In some countries, the coverage and data quality is simply not at the level required for good car navigation yet. I hope that clarifies things a bit.

PeterSmithson
17.09.2010, 17:20
Thanks for the reply.

So I'm guessing that if I went to Greece with my UK version - it would not work because you have not made the maps available for Greece yet? As you can't be sure if they'll work with your software.

But when the maps are available, presumably I could use my UK software rather than having to get a special Greek version of the software right?

Cheers.

Peter.

Marcus
17.09.2010, 17:27
The paid UK version actually includes maps of Western Europe and may actually provide some sort of service in Greece. We haven't tested skobbler in Greece yet. That's one reason why we don't promote the paid app as a "European version". The other reason are the potentially massive roaming costs you'd incur, if you used skobbler on a UK-simmed phone in Greece.

PeterSmithson
17.09.2010, 17:34
I see - thanks.

I'm really waiting for the downloadable maps which I read elsewhere is something you are working on. Once that's there I can consider dumping my Nokia phone (not so good) with Ovi maps (which are great) and going for an Android phone with Skobbler. I have an Archos 5 internet tablet running Andriod at the moment so I'm able to try it out.

I don't mind paying for a bit of sat nav software (that much) but what gets me is paying a substantial amount every time you go abroad for the maps! Hopefully even if I buy Skobbler, the maps will then be free for all countries (eventually).

Cheers.

Peter.

sweetypie
19.09.2010, 17:54
Maybe I should really post this question in a new thread, I guess, but since there is a link to PeterSmithson, I thought I'd post it here for now.

You'll see that Peter is running Skobbler on an Archos 5IT. I am too, thanks to Peter. Peter was able to download it from the Android Market, but it didn't show for me, so Peter kindly let me have a copy of the trial.

It seems to work just fine so far. The Archos isn't a phone however, so, on the move, it has to get its wifi by tethering to a phone. My Nokia N97 tethers perfectly, and Skobbler works fine with the tethered connection.

My question is, in the Settings Menu, under "GPS", there is only one option - Internal. Using a new bit of software on the Archos "GetBlue", I am finally able to connect to an external Bluetooth GPS, and receive GPS data into the app. The app also has options of where to "push" the data. I had hoped that, once I had established the connection to the external GPS, Skobbler would read the presence of the external device, and offer it as an option. But it didn't.

So the question is, can / will Skobbler read the data from an external Bluetooth GPS?

Tiberiu
20.09.2010, 15:17
Hi guys,

Regarding the GPS module, skobbler always uses the default GPS receiver. We didn't implement anything in our app so that the user can choose witch GPS module to use (internal or external).

Hope it helps,
Tibi

sweetypie
20.09.2010, 20:01
Thanks Tibi.

Not the reply I hoped for. With these small devices with combo GPS devices, some of them have a weak antenna. So for devices like this, like my Nokia N97, it's a lifesaver to be able to set the Nokia to use an external GPS device.

If Skobbler can't choose anything other than the "default" GPS, why does it have a box in Settings> GPS> GPS> "Internal"?

So presumably, if the device has a choice of internal or external GPS, then Skobbler will just note what has been chosen on the device, but not enable a choice to be made. If that's so, then this GPS> Internal box is redundant in Skobbler.

But it would be extremely useful if Skobbler could enable a choice to be made.

Tiberiu
20.09.2010, 20:30
Hi,

You are right saying that "Internal" doesn't state that it can only use internal but rather creates confusion, leading the user to think that he/she can switch to external GPS.
You are also right that there are a vaste number of Android powered devices out there and some of them could have bad GPS receivers integrated.
I'll contact our Android PM so we can come up with a better solution for this.

Regards,
Tibi

sweetypie
21.09.2010, 04:17
Thanks Tibi - fingers crossed.