PDA

View Full Version : Satnav2 does not work with roqybt4 when no native GPS

mortod
29.08.2012, 12:22
I'm using satnav2 on an iphone 3GS with an external bluetooth GPS, via roqyBT4, as the native iphone GPS reception is too poor for in-car use.

Satnav2 normally works fine, but when in France (I live in UK) I discovered a problem, when the native GPS was not available for some reason. In the 'Navigation' section satnav2 could not find the GPS, and displayed the 'no GPS / searching satellites' screen. In the 'Maps' section the GPS worked fine. It is as if satnav2 is trying to use the native GPS when starting 'navigation' but allows the external GPS when in 'maps'.

I would suggest that this is a bug.

Christin
31.08.2012, 14:56
When in France, did you enable airplane mode in your device? Did you use the app in a wifi spot or in offline mode only?

Greetings
Christin

mortod
31.08.2012, 16:40
Satnav2 was configued for offline only. The only thing I did not try, was to enable data roaming. I was not in a wifi spot. The odd thing is that the native GPS and Skobbler worked fine elsewhere in France. In hindsight, I think briefly enabling data roaming would have assisted the native GPS into life, and Skobbler would then have worked. But that misses the point - I was using an external bluetooth GPS, which worked fine in other apps, and indeed in other parts of the Satnav2 app. The fact that the native GPS was not functioning should have been irrelevant. I suspect the app is accessing the native GPS directly, rather than using some higher level function call. I also saw similar behaviour in a compass app.

Christin
05.09.2012, 10:09
That is correct - our GPS Navigation 2 requires an internal GPS receiver - external ones have not been tested except for the TomTom CarKit which works very well with our app.

Greetings
Christin

mortod
05.09.2012, 19:00
I expect that the TomTom kit would not work if for any reasone the internal GPS is not working (I'm assuming that the TomTom carr kit provides an external GPS, or does it just provide a booster aerial to the internal GPS?).

Either way, and even when not used with an external GPS, GPS Nav 2 does not truly work in offline mode, as the nature of the internal GPS is such that data roaming needs to be turned on, in order for the internal GPS to be assisted. Satnav Free, on the other hand does.

I do feel that this is worthy of further investigation as GPS Nav 2 is the superior app, if only it would work when offline. The fact that parts of the app works OK when offline, yet the navigation part does not, implies that this is perfectly fixable.

I re-iterate - GPS Nav 2 stopped working for me in offline mode when using the internal GPS. One should not then have to enable data roaming to get it working again.