PDA

View Full Version : Navigation won't work on iPad 1

dysong3
16.05.2012, 14:30
Hi,

I have navigation on my iPhone and iPad. It works perfectly on the iPhone and appears to work OK on the iPad only it gets stuck after giving the first instruction. Any ideas on how to rectify this? Or why it happens?

Christin
16.05.2012, 18:55
Is your iPad equipped with 3g or is it wifi-only? If wifi-only, that's the reason: The GPS receiver is missing in those devices which is why the app cannot work.

Greetings
Christin

dysong3
18.05.2012, 09:42
No it has G3. Not that I ever use it. I am pretty sure that there is a GPS receiver as when I launch NAV 2 it finds my position and can give the first instructions on any given route, it's just that it never gets past the first instructions.

watfordih
20.05.2012, 08:55
Hi,

I'm new to Navigation 2 and fairly new to iPad, but wondered if your GPS is turned on?? I'm not sure how to turn it on and off through IOS, but I got "GPS Data" from the Apple store (free of charge) and can use that to check GPS is on and turn it off/on too (to sve the battery). Remember that iPad will fix your location using wifi addresses if GPS is not on which could explain why it knows where you are now but cannot keep track once you leave your house/wifi! Note tha if GPS is off, Navigation2 does not seem turn it on. (I have an iPAD 1 3G with 64 Gb running IOS 5).

Hope that helps

Ian

Christin
23.05.2012, 13:25
@dysong3: Finding your position might still be connected to wifi - once you leave the wifi area, Ian is right: The app cannot work anymore. Please check with Apple if you have 3g in your iPad or not - they can tell you for sure if you give them your model number.

Greetings
Christin

Ant
30.05.2012, 10:00
I have a similar problem. The New Ipad does have built in GPS. The GPS symbol on Navigation 2 is highlighted in green to show that the GPS signal is good. But it will not update the maps en-route.

Christin
05.06.2012, 16:40
@Ant: Which search mode do you use (online, hybrid or offline)? Offline maps already installed? Airplane mode activated?

Many greetings
Christin

Ant
05.06.2012, 18:46
Hi Christin.

Thanks for the reply.

Airplane mode is OFF, I've downloaded the UK maps and I'm running in Hybrid. In another thread I think you've answered the problem. The IPAD WIFI (only) doesn't have GPS?

I'm not convinced that is true though.

1. The GPS symbol was green - surely if there was no GPS it wouldn't have been showing green?
2. If I stopped at the side of the road (literally in the middle of nowhere) and started the navigation all over again my location was correctly shown on the map. Even though I was a few miles from the last point I had a wifi connection.

Thanks very much for your help. If you are correct it is purely my fault - but something about this doesn't ring true.
Ant

Christin
07.06.2012, 11:37
The GPS symbol is green most of the time indeed - but this is a bug which needs fixing because the app definitely won't work on wifi-only devices outside a wifi network.

I don't know why it was able to locate you in the middle of nowhere - in any case I can officially say that the app does not work properly on your device, given the technical circumstances.

Greetings
Christin