PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Skobbler, Forever Map and data connections

higgo456
19.03.2011, 15:46
Hi

I've just moved to Android (2.2) from a Nokia 5800. About the only thing I liked about my Nokia was the OVI satnav. Someone recommended Skobbler to me as the best (free) Android SatNav. I was told that it doesn't need a data connection but it seems that it won't work without a live data connection.

I've also downloaded maps using ForeverMap for the UK (and France, Belgium and the Netherlands) but the navigation on ForeverMap doesn't seem as good as Skobbler. I don't seem to be able to search by UK postcode.

So.... is it possible to get Skobbler to use the ForeverMap maps so I can use it offline?

The need for a data connection isn't too much of a problem now using it in the UK but when I go on holiday in the summer I am going to want to use it in France and the Netherlands and really don't want to pay overseas data charges.

grin
22.03.2011, 04:17
Locus can cache tiles, osmand can navigate (iirc).

higgo456
22.03.2011, 09:44
Locus can cache tiles, osmand can navigate (iirc).

Still confused!

Christin
23.03.2011, 15:36
@higgo456:
skobbler Navigation can only be used with a constant internet connection because routes are calculated during use. ForeverMap can be used offline because you download the maps you need only once (in advance) and then save them on your device. However, ForeverMap is not a navigation software because there is no voice guide, etc. You can use it as an offline map, to calculate routes abroad without having to fear any roaming costs, but it won't navigate as skobbler does.
(The combination of both programs is not possible at the moment because the technical bases differ considerably.)

Hope that clarifies?

Best regards,
Christin

grin
24.03.2011, 01:54
Still confused!

The program named „Locus” in the Android Market can handle around 20 different map tile sources, and as far as I remember it caches the tiles and works offline. „OSMand” is another program, which can navigate and I believe it can cache tiles, too. Just two alternatives.

higgo456
25.03.2011, 17:38
@higgo456:
skobbler Navigation can only be used with a constant internet connection because routes are calculated during use. ForeverMap can be used offline because you download the maps you need only once (in advance) and then save them on your device. However, ForeverMap is not a navigation software because there is no voice guide, etc. You can use it as an offline map, to calculate routes abroad without having to fear any roaming costs, but it won't navigate as skobbler does.
(The combination of both programs is not possible at the moment because the technical bases differ considerably.)

Hope that clarifies?

Best regards,
Christin

Thanks. It's not the answer I wanted but it does clarify the situation.

higgo456
25.03.2011, 17:43
The program named „Locus” in the Android Market can handle around 20 different map tile sources, and as far as I remember it caches the tiles and works offline. „OSMand” is another program, which can navigate and I believe it can cache tiles, too. Just two alternatives.

Thanks - I've downloaded OsmAnd and the maps for the parts of Europe I need.

Having looked at both I think I'll use Skobbler in the UK (where my data charges are low) and OsmAnd in Europe